• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Guitar Players and Builders Thread

Concrete Cock

I Ate Your Baby
First one that comes to mind is @FreeOnes_Adam - BlueCountach was a player, too. I hope @Dino Velvet steps up his game soon!

Believe it or not I'm super shy and have zero confidence in my ability to play. Even if I gain some good skills my playing will still sound like crapola to the rest of the family. I did what I thought was some decent Karaoke once at a kid's birthday party but I was asked never to sing again right after I dropped the mic.

Children like Harry Potter so I thought this would be fine to sing to 8 year old Catholic kids.

Freq3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
I've played piano / keyboard since I was 7 and got up to Grade 6 (UK) standard when I was 18, which is as far as I took it. I was able to play the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven back then, but haven't actually read music since then.

I can still play though and am a bit of a Synth nerd now, with a small few in my collection :)

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
The Mini Moog was small, but without it, a generation of music would not have ended up as it did.

Of course back then they weren't outfuckingragously priced, but hey, in '59 a Les Paul was less then $500, look what they cost now.

Mr. Daystar

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Think about the forgotten air instruments:

Air keyboards, air double bass

And the rarest of all air music business men and women: Air Roadies and Air Managers!
Phil Collins! :)

I played guitar from age 14 to 28. Punched a glass door in a drunken stupor. Sustained nerve damage in my left hand.

(gave away one guitar, sold two)

Now at 58, sober 28 years 8 months, my hand now is functional but I can't play anymore. :(

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

Holy shit dude, I took you for a 40 something. You're old too?!?!

Mr. Daystar

What does it mean, if you're doing both at the same time.....
While curled up in the fetal position.....
Naked.....
In the corner of a room.....
Whilst furiously masturbating with one hand, and sucking the thumb of your other hand...........
:eek:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
What does it mean, if you're doing both at the same time.....
While curled up in the fetal position.....
Naked.....
In the corner of a room.....
Whilst furiously masturbating with one hand, and sucking the thumb of your other hand...........
:eek:
Sounds like something from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Speaking of which, Nick Mason had some very nice things to say about Charlie Watts and his passing.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Phil Collins! :)

I played guitar from age 14 to 28. Punched a glass door in a drunken stupor. Sustained nerve damage in my left hand.

(gave away one guitar, sold two)

Now at 58, sober 28 years 8 months, my hand now is functional but I can't play anymore. :(
Maybe slide guitar, I think pedal steel?

I have lost the ease of playing - and the will - by drinking hard, too. My hands are a bit too numb, yet I am trying to play a bit. Luckily Squiers and Fender Champs are insanely cheap, these days!

Mr. Daystar

Sounds like something from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Speaking of which, Nick Mason had some very nice things to say about Charlie Watts and his passing.
There's a show called "Breaking The Band". on a channel called "Reelz", and a couple of weeks ago they had Pink Floyd on. it was very interesting. A couple of years ago Nick Mason was touring, with a showed called "A Saucer Full Of Secrets". I assumed he was hitting the earlier Floyd, but for what he was charging, and the venue he was at, I took a pass, so I'm not sure how many years he covered, I guess he technically has a right to all of it, even after Waters left, although Waters would argue that, they are the only 2 left from day one. Even though I think Gilmour is an amazing guitar player, and writer, and give him credit for a lot of their greatness.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Maybe slide guitar, I think pedal steel?
Yes! Good answer. It's slide guitar but with a wah-wah pedal.

With this Phil Collins video? I used to know what he was doing. Let's see. [in chronological order]

@0:06 to 0:09 - White jacket with red stripes, red cap, sunglasses, red shirt, khakis - saxophone (solo at 2:35 to 2:40)
@0:16 to 0:19 - Black cap, red shirt, black jacket, khakis, sunglasses (on right, reverse angle from 1:36) - trombone
@0:22 Yellow shirt, red sweater with beige stripes on sleeves, khakis - vocal.
@0:26 Red white and blue shirt, khakis, sneakers - drums
@0:49 Yellow shirt, blue sweater with white stripes on sleeves, khakis, sneakers - Grand Piano
@1:02 - Blue and white striped shirt, khakis, sneakers - bass guitar
@1:36 - Black cap, red shirt, black jacket, sunglasses, khakis, (on left, reverse angle form 0:16 to 0:19) - trumpet
@1:47 and at 3:02 - White jacket with red stripes, red cap, sunglasses, red shirt, khakis - tuba or french horn
@2:27 - Blue shirt, khakis - slide guitar with a wah-wah pedal.

You can interchange trombone and trumpet. Since he appears more on the right, you would be more apt to say trumpet with those. The opposite of what I have above.

I have lost the ease of playing - and the will - by drinking hard, too. My hands are a bit too numb, yet I am trying to play a bit. Luckily Squiers and Fender Champs are insanely cheap, these days!
(y)

I get bad neuropathy in my left hand sometimes. The fingers collapse into my palm and all the muscles spasm. It hurts a great deal. In addition, arthritis has made my fingers lose their flexibility and dexterity when trying to get around the fret board. I can't even make bar chords. I was using a capo and tuning my friend's guitar down a half note flat on the E, A and D upper strings and tuning his guitar a half note sharp on the lower B and E strings and leaving the middle G alone and that helped somewhat, but again, my left hand just goes numb. I just stop playing. I can try to play melodies but that's about it. I can still tab something if it's really needed.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

I have horrible arthritis in my hands too. It is hard to do, but I've never really had the ability to form chords, so I picked up a bass, and it's a little easier, as far as making your hands do odd shapes, like chords, but some of the music I like, the bass might as well be a lead guitar. You've heard Chris Squire, and Gregg Lake play, so you get it. Fuck, now that I think about it, Keith Emerson committed suicide just because he couldn't play like he used to. Not a good reason, he could have taught a new generation, but that's neither here nor there, the point is, it's a very real let down, when you can't do what you love. Hell, I haven't been on my bike in 2 years...it's breaking my heart.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Well, we c an always follow Beethoven's example. Composing music even while being deaf, now that's someghing we can do!

Mr. Daystar

Wow. I have self confidence, but being on a Beethoven level....I'm not worthy. Maybe to fetch him some ink, or paper.

And don't forget, a piano vibrates heavily, he likely felt those, and knew right where he was, and what it would sound like. You know what they say, loose one sense, the others make up for it somehow. I do get in the mood from time to time for some Ludwig Von. When my wife wakes up grumpy, I wait until she's in the shower and blast Ode To Joy. It brings no joy! :D

Mr. Daystar

Mr. Daystar

Hey Sup, I have an idea for your sig. You should go to various guitar sites, fill out the forms for a custom guitar, and if it shows a picture of the final product, save it, make a picture of all the little pictures, and there's your sig.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Ron Bushy, drummer for Iron Butterfly has died. He was there from the first, to last album. R.I.P. Mr. Bushy, thanks for the music.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/iron-butterfly-drummer-ron-bushy-185812490.html

I just put this here, because honestly, the only people that would likely care, come here.
I had not heard of his passing. His solo gave many deejays a long break in the early ‘70s. RIP.

Think about the forgotten air instruments:

Air keyboards, air double bass

And the rarest of all air music business men and women: Air Roadies and Air Managers!
Don’t forget about Air Supply: 😉

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

I had not heard of his passing. His solo gave many deejays a long break in the early ‘70s. RIP.

Don’t forget about Air Supply: 😉
I paid good money to have them erased from my brain, and you gots to bring um up. WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO ME?!?!?!

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
I paid good money to have them erased from my brain, and you gots to bring um up. WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO ME?!?!?!
Just sharing the pain. :)

A few years back I found a collection of In A Garda Da Vida performances. They have been a great soundtrack for the morning.