• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Guitar Players and Builders Thread

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Jeff Healey was a master. Playing a Les Paul like it was a pedal steel guitar. Usually on his lap. He was disabled being blind and he was able to basically play a guitar upside down and place his hands on the neck and the fret board at just the right places. Many times, Jeff is playing his guitar like it was a piano.

Here Jeff is singing and playing the Randy California and Spirit song, "I Got A Line On You" with Patrick Rush (second guitar), Joe Rockman (bass guitar) and Tom Stephen (drums) from the Jeff Healey Band.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Speaking of Jeff Healey -- "While My Guitar ..."

George's opus, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with a super band. Prince's Trust Concert 1987 ...

George Harrison and Jeff Lynne (guitars) Eric Clapton (lead guitar), Ringo Starr and Phil Collins (drums), Ray Cooper (tambourine), Elton John and Jools Holland (piano) and Jeff Healey (bass guitar)

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/legendary-electric-guitar-inventor-les-224533464.html

I can't see this going for the numbers they're projecting. Way to low, hell David Gilmour's black Strat went for almost 4 million. It would be great if Steve Miller got a hold of it, Les was his God Father, and taught him to play. Hell of thing to tell people, "I learned from the guy that invented electric guitars, and who taught you?"
Well, much to my TOTAL surprise, it went for a little less then a million. The piece of history went for $930,000 bucks. I gotta say, I'm shocked it didn't make it to at least $2.5 million. This is history. The reason rock & roll sounds like it does. I'm sad, considering a '59 holy grail goes for $100,000 without any provenance.

Mr. Daystar

Mr. Daystar

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/16/randy-bachman-lost-guitar-gretsch

Now a happy story, about a rock star, and his long lost axe. And I'm happy for him, those Gretch Chet Atkins's models, have a great tone, and I would imagine they age the same as other desirable old guitars do.

Peter Frampton also went through something very similar, with the Les Paul he's playing on the cover of his live album.

Mr. Daystar

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member

Mr. Daystar

All great guitar players, innit?

Here are some crazy guitars

I can't say I would want to own many of them, and a couple of them I've seen elsewhere. The white explorer set, with fur around it, comes from ZZ Top, and I have watched a video in which that 3 neck acoustic, combo of guitar and mandolin, and something else "?", sounded amazing. I'll say this, there is some serious imagination, and exceptional skill in those pages. I don't remember if I posted this before, or not so sorry if it's a double, but these are some fancy axes.
https://www.minarikguitars.com/products.html

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

Mr. Daystar

That was a great video, and it answered a lot of questions I've always wondered about. Although a lot of players now a days are using those multi-effects units by Boss, or Line 6. I don't know if you can program those to work in an order you want, like you could with a stomp box set up. My guitar amp is a Line 6 modeling amp, and it sounds good, for what I do, which is just to tinker around, but it does combine more then one effect in the same knob. To be honest, I never read the manual, because I'm more into the bass then a 6-string, but I got it on sale for $349.00, and it's a 75 watt, 1-12 Spider.

Mr. Daystar

Freq3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
This has just been released by Steve Vai...The Hydra!! ... It looks pretty amazing and Steampunk! :cool: 😁

A nightmare for his Guitar Tech though :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Daystar

This has just been released by Steve Vai...The Hydra!! ... It looks pretty amazing and Steampunk! :cool: 😁

A nightmare for his Guitar Tech though :ROFLMAO:

It looks like a nightmare to play too. I would bet, IF he actually plays it, it's for one song, and he sits while doing it,

Freq3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
It looks like a nightmare to play too. I would bet, IF he actually plays it, it's for one song, and he sits while doing it,

This came up on Youtube today as a release from Steve Vai:

Teeth of the Hydra

Its probably not a nightmare for Steve himself as he probably designed it....and that vid sounds like he obviously used The Hydra!

Couldn't tell you whether he stood or sat to play it though :ROFLMAO:

Mr. Daystar

Well, the reasoning behind my thought of him sitting, is because it likely weighs a ton, and it doesn't seem comfortable to me, to play it standing. I think I saw him playing an Ibanez signature triple neck, and I believe he was sitting. He played all 3 necks, although the middle must have been tuned so he could strum it open, as he moved from bottom to top neck. Also, because he's getting older, and those things are heavy, and the one you posted looks especially easy to poke yourself with. I'm not really a big fan of his solo stuff, but I know he played with Zappa, who I am a fan of, and if you play with Frank, you can play. I think I'm just an old crusty dinosaur when it comes to certain things, like guitars. I tend to not be a fan of off the wall designs. I tend to lean towards the traditional things, like Les Paul's, and EDS1275's. Don't get me wrong, Explorer's and Flying V's are cool, but some of the newer, metal axes are a little much.